Chesterfield Church Derbyshire England
Around 1500 further building was carried out, and the roof was raised to the present height with the insertion of the clerestory (the windows above the main arches). This was often done to provide more light and the greater dignity of added height. Shortly after this (1509-49) the west front was rebuilt. The eighteenth century saw some rebuilding and restoration. A gallery was installed in the north aisle in 1738 to correspond with one of an earlier, unknown, date in the south. Both were replaced in 1843 and finally removed in 1910. In 1769 the north transept was rebuilt - the date is inscribed on the outside.